Saturday 26 March 2011

Toffee Apple Cakes and Clogs

Just a quick post for a change ;) 
and 
not one garden picture, I promise!

Just two things I want to share with you


First thing  
 Toffee Apple Cakes

a recipe for which I found on cocorose textiles blog post the other day.




Its from the Marks and Spencers Baking Day cookery book.

Have just made them and I thought I'd died and gone to heaven
(but then anything with apple and cinnamon in.......)

So without further ado
The Recipe



Toffee Apple Cakes

2 dessert apples
1 tbsp lemon juice
250g/9 oz plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2tsp ground cinnamon
70g/2 1/2 oz light muscavado sugar
55g / 2 oz butter
100ml / 3 1/2 fl oz milk
100ml / 3 1/2 fl oz apple juice
1 egg, beaten

Toffee Topping
2 tbsp single cream
40g / 1 1/2oz light muscavado sugar
15g / 1/2 oz unsalted butter

**
Pre-heat oven to 200c/400F/gas mark 6.
Grease a 12 cup muffin tin (preferably non-stick)

Peel, core and coarsly grate one of the apples. Slice the remaining apple into 5mm wedges or enough for two slice on each muffin and toss in lemon juice.

In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and cinnamon then stir in the grated apple and sugar.

Melt the butter and mix with the milk, apple juice and egg.

Stir the liquid mix into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.

Spoon the mixture into the greased tins and arrange two apple slices on top of each.

Bake for 20 to 25 mins or until risen, firm and golden brown. Run a knife round the edge of each muffin to loosen it then place on a wire rack to cool.

For the toffee topping, place all the ingredients into a saucepan then heat, stirring, until sugar dissolved and butter melted. Bring to the boil and boil rapidly for approx. 2 minutes or until slightly thickened and syrupy.
Cool slightly then drizzle over cakes and leave to set.



 If you can wait - we couldn't!

***

Second Thing
Flowery Clogs



TK Maxx from £40 to £15
Just had to



The furry animals are not sure what to make of them




Thanks for all your lovely comments, I love reading them and try to reply either by visiting your blog or by leaving a comment here (although I dont know whether people come back to read follow up comments)
and a big welcome and thankyou for joining me, to all my new followers!

Have a great weekend!

19 comments:

  1. Oh now you've really done it!!! Not only making me buy sewing books but now I have to make and eat cakes!!!! :) They look yummy and I am going to make them tomorrow as the in-laws are coming. I am a huge fan of clogs...always have been. I currently have lovely floral Swedish ones that I too got at a bargain price. Yours are really lovely. Enjoy your weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gill, oh I definitely fancy having a go at those delicious looking cakes.Lovely clogs too! Thankyou for all your lovely comments, much appreciated. Enjoy the rest of your weekend, love Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh WOW I am actually drooling! I will be making those babies tomorrow. Thank you so much for sharing. Loving the clogs!! I wish I could wear clogs but I have never really got on with them. Those a very posh clogs though. I bet you look a real bobby dazzler in them.
    Love
    Tickety-boo x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh the clogs! oh! oh! oh! Hyperventilating here!!!!!! GORGEEEEEEEEEEEOUS! Cx

    ReplyDelete
  5. these pictures are very mouth-watering. yummy!Buy Desserts

    ReplyDelete
  6. aaawwww...look at the furry guys here...darling

    love the clogs...really cute...and the cakes look wonderful...

    hugs to bessie and logan

    kary and teddy
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am deeply in love with your new footwear.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those cakes do look good, I may just have to try them!! ;)
    Love the clogs. :)
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those clogs are stunning and the cakes look yummie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those cakes look super yummy Gilly! I'm not much of a baker, but I'm tempted to give those a go.

    And the clogs, they are GREAT!! LOVE them!Funny about the animals not knowing what to do with them - lol. And, speaking of the animals.... how cute are they?! Logan is such a teeny little darling, so gorgeous. Bessie is beautifully coloured too. I wish my cat wasn't so grumpy, she might enjoy having another friend around.

    I hope you have a lovely week Gilly. I'm still drooling about the whole Kent thing... turkey gobbling and all!

    Linda. :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look absolutely delicious!! I'll definitely be making them...I don't think they'll last very long though!
    Love the clogs...and I'm sure the fur babies will be used to them in no time! ;)
    Thank you for your sweet comments Gilly...they and you are always welcome!
    xo J~

    ReplyDelete
  12. My, those cakes look delicious!! Not sure about the clogs - it's an age thing - I'm too old! Wore them first time round in the flower power 60s!! Abby x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum, those apple cakes look delicious and so very naughty! Isn't apple and cinnamon the perfect combo? I like your clogs, what a bargain!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmmm, those look yummy. I have a new mixer so I guess I shall just have to christen it! Pretty clogs and a bargain too. I love how clogs look but have never found them very comfortable. Do you have to break them in a bit or have I just bought not very nice ones?
    Becky x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm the cakes look deeeelish. Although I'm starting a new exercise regime I may have to have a go at these cakes ...... Leah x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those cakes look delicious, and your new clogs are wonderful, what a bargain too. I never know whether people come back to the comments section either, but I usually leave my replies there.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You had me at the apple cakes then you bring out the big guns with the Sanitas...those are incredible! help me with my color dilemma

    ReplyDelete
  18. I came for the garden pictures but the clogs will certainly suffice!

    First time here, can't wait to check it all out....have a lovely day

    ReplyDelete
  19. The cakes look deeelicious! And the clogs are so pretty. It's a long time since I had a pair, but now maybe I need some just like yours! Have a lovely week.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and for taking the time to leave a comment - I love to read them!
Gill x