Monday 14 March 2011

Out of a hat

(Out of an old school hat in fact!)


came the winners name!




And it is




Well Done Becky!!!!!

Becky has won a cushion cover that I made a week or so ago, one of several french-inspired cushions I'm making in reds and browns.



Don't forget to email me your name and address Becky so I can post the cushion cover off to you!!!

Thank You to everyone else who entered!!

***

The weekend was mixed weatherwise for us here in the south-east. Sunday was wet and grey, but Saturday..................


Saturday was gorgeous!
Blue sky!!
 Sun!!!


I was up and outside with Logan and a cup of tea at 6.30!!!



Needed a cushion on that cold metal chair though!!!

And we spent most of the morning pottering round, doing a few jobs, but mostly playing


But I had time to notice the progress in the garden



The camellia has plenty of buds, a few showing redish pink on the tips but we don't know what colour it will be exactly as its our first spring here!


There are a couple of ribes round the side of the house, just starting to open



Round the front, the daffs are finally opening in the rather messy borders (you can just see them amongst the dead leaves!)





There's a beautiful spiraea sprouting lovely firey orange foliage



It needs a bit of trim though

As does the fuschia which needs cutting right down now - it looks so messy but I held off as long as possible to give it protection from the worst of the weather



Growing through the gravel on the drive I found this little flower



I'm not sure what it is - need to search through the gardening books unless anyone knows?



A pieris (i think?)


In fact as I pottered around I saw there is quite a lot of work to be done


Windows and window frames to clean - the birds love sitting in the greenery above the window, eating the berries, as the evidence shows!


 The last of the leaves that we swept to the bottom of the garden to be composted into leaf mould need to be tidied and bagged, although Logan loves running through them!

We bought a few openweave jute sacks for next to nothing which are specially meant for making leaf mould, and when the first heavy leaf fall came in autumn we dutifully swept and packed the wet leaves into these, and continued to top them up until the snow came in December.

But I've heard varying stories about making leaf mould from oak leaves.
Some people swear by black sacks
Others say oak leaves don't rot down

Any advice or comments anyone?????


The previous owners left this sweet sundial behind.

Hope you all had a great weekend!!!


20 comments:

  1. Huge congratulaions to Becky! She is going to love that beautiful gift. Your garden is gorgeous, Gill. I would love to see some more pics as the season progresses :) I always think there is something very primeval about the beginning of spring....a huge sense of relief that we have got through winter and looking forward to warmer weather. Thanks for the sewing advice....I will make up a trial skirt first and should then see how much fabric I would need for cord xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to winner!
    And thank you for the beautiful garden photos!

    Best wishes,
    Tatyana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your house and garden look lovely Gill and your new little doggie is soooo cute! Have a happy day, Linda x.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden has an impressive amount of plants beginning to show their glory. That garden looks like a lovely place to relax.
    June.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gilly isnt this sunshine lush!

    Thankyou for your kind comment regarding my infertility. I have had 4 losses so I know exactly what that's like, I think as long as I've done everything I can then I will be happy to leave it, and be glad that I have a lovely husband who lets me play with fabric!

    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats to Becky, such a lucky girl!
    You have a beautiful garden.Love the pic of your window,minus the bird poo though maybe!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  7. congrats to Becky....what a lovely home you have and yard I would have been out there at 6:25 to soak up that sunshine with Logan,hehe
    Have a super start to the week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's me! What a LUCKY girl I am! Thank you so much. Can't wait to give it a new home. Becky x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats, Becky! Lovely garden, Gill - the little blue flowers are scillas I think, and yes, that's pieris. Lovely to have a new garden - we moved 18mths ago. Abby x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! What a beautiful garden, so lovely to see around it!
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations to Becky! Enjoy your new treasure ;).

    Gill: What a lovely garden you have. It just looks so inviting. I can see why you were out there so early.

    Daryl

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful weekend you had. Your garden is so lovely.

    Congratulations to the blessed winner of your lovely cushion covers....hugs and love to you for a great week. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Gill

    Congratulations to Becky, what a fab gift to win.

    I love your garden Gill, I bet it keeps you busy? I have those little blue flowers on my drive too and didn't know what they were called, so thank you to Abby who must be the gardener amongst us.

    Have a good day
    Lesley
    x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Gill,
    What a gorgeous house you have. It reminds me of the ones I see on the tv show "Escape to the Country". Your garden is looking wonderful.
    Congrats to Becky!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats to Becky, if she doesn't want it, I do! LOL!!! Oh, your home is beautiful- just like a storybook! I'm envious of your gardens, we still have snow on the ground! And I just want to steal that little Logan! Hope you have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations to Becky for winning your lovely cushion giveaway! I really enjoyed seeing the pictures of your lovely garden. It's wonderful to discover the plants season by season when you've just moved in somewhere new! Little Logan looks so cute popping up here and there too! Hope you are having a sunny week.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for all your lovely comments about the garden - of course I've only shown selected bits ;0
    I carefully left out the pile of stuff waiting to go to the tip and the borders where nothing's happening except last years dead stuff waiting to be cut down - the joys of photography eh!
    But it is so nice to see the beginnings of spring!And we have been so lucky here (so far) - no snow!(I had my fingers crossed then - bound to be tempting fate)
    Atleast I can share a little taste of spring with those still knee deep in the white stuff.
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations to Becky. It must be very exciting for you at the moment, having your first spring in your new house and waiting to see what flowers emerge. I too have heard that oak leaves take some time to rot down, but I haven't tried it myself so don't really know.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've just found this article http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/soil_makeleafmould1.shtml about oak leaves, and it looks as if they're actually quite quick to rot down. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the lovely spring photos! It is still winter here in Alaska, I'm afraid!

    You have a lovely blog - please visit mine if you have a chance!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and for taking the time to leave a comment - I love to read them!
Gill x