Tuesday 9 April 2013

Painted Dresser - latest Annie Sloan paint project!

Latest Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Project

 
before

A year or so ago I bought an oak dresser on eBay with the intention of painting it. Solid oak, heavy and good quality, but looking rather dated, and too dark for my kitchen.

Since then it's been sitting in my kitchen, making the kitchen dark and gloomy, patiently waiting to be transformed.

Whilst in the middle of a large job painting a friend's old pine bedroom furniture (bedstead, wardrobe, dressing table and bedside table ) with Annie Sloan Chalk Paints bought from Dovetails Vintage in Sevenoaks, Kent ( I love this shop! They offer a quick mail order service too if you don't have an AS stockist near you) and being pretty pleased with how quickly and easily it was all going, I decided that the oak dresser's moment of transformation had finally come.

So in one weekend it went from the above, to this below........


 
and after....

I painted the outside in Annie Sloan Old Ochre,  a warm cream, and the inside of the display cabinet I painted in AS Antoinette, a gorgeous pale pink.


 

 
As the cabinet was dark it needed two coats.

But if you've used Annie Sloan Chalk Paints before, then you know that part of the beauty of the paint is the lack of preparation needed before painting - just a quick wash/wipe over then once it's dry you can start painting.

So despite needing a second coat, it wasn't as daunting a project as I'd imagined, and as the paint dries fairly quickly it meant it was still a fairly quick job - it would have been more of a job had it all needed sanding first!

So first I painted the dresser top and it went from this..........to this!

 
Then the base........I didn't even unpack the china to do the base - just removed the knobs, moved it out from the wall, slipped some newspaper under it and got painting.

It was amazing how suddenly the kitchen was made lighter.

 
Once the first coat was dry I painted a sketchy, fairly random second coat concentrating on where it was needed, and then once that was dry I waxed all over using Annie Sloan Clear Wax.

I then gently distressed the edges where it would naturally wear. I wanted to achieve a pale, barely distressed look, so I didn't go overboard on the sanding, and didn't use any AS Antique wax..

 

Before replacing the dresser top, I lightly sanded the top surface of the dresser base, wiped it over then gave it a second coat of wax. Once that dried I buffed it to a soft sheen, then put the dresser top in place (well actually it took three of us to heave the darn thing back up without damaging my new paint job!)

 
Since the above photo was taken, the dresser top has had the original patterned glass put back in temporarily until I can get some clear glass to replace it, and my kind husband has put in a new shelf (where the plate display rail is) to hold extra china.

I'm so glad I painted it at last, it's made such a huge difference to the look and feel of the kitchen, all for the price of two pots of paint (and there's still plenty left over for the next project........)!

Shortly after finishing painting the dresser I went up to London to the Spring Country Living Fair, and amongst other things treated the kitchen (!) to a gorgeous braided runner from The Braided Rug Company

I've been lusting after a braided rug from this company for years (and even made a couple myself a few years ago!) and this particular one is made from jute rather than the more traditional carpet type of rug the company started out selling. So it should wear well, and it lies beautifully flat.

 

 

I think Logan thought it was a new toy for him at first!

 

 

I love it, and it's perfect for covering some cracked tiles in the kitchen!

 

At the Fair I also found some pretty vintage fish knives and forks..........

 

 

and some pot holders and tea towels in pretty grey and white striped fabric with little roses from Sophie Allport.


 
Next "day out" will be the Decorative Living Fair at Eridge Park, near Tunbridge Wells in Kent, on Thursday 16th May - last year it was pouring with rain and pretty muddy there, and I'm hoping this year there'll be some sunshine by then!

Last year Dovetails, (where I buy Annie Sloan paints and where I did an AS painting course), had a stall there and hopefully they'll be there again this year, along with lots of wonderful vintage and decorative antiques stalls as well as gorgeous clothes, plants and gardenalia.

 
What with all the furniture painting I've been doing, I haven't had a chance to do much sewing recently, although I did make a few new floral linen cushions for the sitting room.

 
I have quite a few vintage finds to share in another post, but must just show you this cute vintage curtain that I found for £2 in a vintage shop.

I'd been vaguely looking out for something to put under the sink unit for a while now, and this was obviously meant to be as it fits just about perfectly - which is just as well as the curtain tape ends have been knotted so thoroughly that there's no way I can adjust it without taking off the tape and replacing it - and it'll be a while before I get around to that!




Thanks for all your comments on my last post, I hope you all had a good Easter, and a very warm welcome to my new followers!


Posted by Picasa

43 comments:

  1. Hi Gill - I LOVE your dresser, it's amazing how beautifully it is transformed. Good job, well done!
    Love your new rug too. On a completely different tangent, could I ask where you got your kitchen roll holder that's on the back of your door? I've been looking for something remotely stylish to contain the roll that seems to move around our kitchen of its own accord, and I like your solution!
    Have a great week,
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gilly, thanks for your comment! I'm sorry but I can't remember where I got the holder from as it's been around my various kitchens for years, I just keep re-painting it to fit with the current scheme. It would have just been plain wood when I bought it, maybe somewhere like Homebase or B & Q might have something similar? Years ago I had a work top one but it drove me mad as it used to "move around" like yours - atleast with this I know where it is!
      Gill xx

      Delete
    2. Thanks Gill - I'll keep a lookout at the diy stores next time I'm in.
      xx

      Delete
  2. hello what a lovely/ old brand new kitchen you have get very pretty like the new pink cabinet and the curtains of the kichen are very cute and prety and logan seems to have a good time too
    have a nice day leon10

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leon! Logan had great fun rolling the rug around!

      Delete
  3. My, what an elegant and charming kitchen. Can kitchens be elegant?
    There is a loveliest about this one that takes my heart away.
    Gorgeous, and you could not have found a prettier rug, right.
    Have a wonderful week and thank you so much for sharing.
    Your blogging sister, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words Connie, I am happy that the rug seems just right for the kitchen. It is a nice kitchen, with the original 50's cupboards and 50's Rayburn stove (not seen here), and I'm in no rush to change those things!
      Gill xx

      Delete
  4. What a great you did with the dresser Gill, it looks wonderful!!
    V xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have that smae oak hutch , and oh my gosh does it ever need to be painted ! Yours looks fabulous !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Priscilla! Using the Annie Sloan paint made it a less daunting project than if I'd used other paint, despite the size of it, and its made a huge difference to the look of the kitchen.If you feel yours could do with an update then go for it, and good luck!

      Delete
  6. Gosh what a transformation! It looks lovely and so different. Bet you are tickled pink with it. I do prefer using other paints and find using AS paint rather like using treacle but I agree that a light sanding with very fine paper then a buff it does come up realy well and the no preparation is a big plus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruth, thanks for your comment! I agree the AS paint can be rather thick, and you don't get such a smooth refined finish as you can achieve with satinwood or eggshell, which is sometimes what you want, but it's all a trade off isnt it? I wanted a more textured, characterful finish with a bit of depth, which is what the AS paint gives you, and with no preparation then it was no brainer for me!

      Delete
  7. Haven't you done well with your buys recently. The rug and the curtain tone with each other so well.
    And the dresser! Oh my, it is really stunning. Well done you on such a fantastic job, such a wonderful transformation to your kitchen.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gill, everything looks beautiful! I'm going to try that paint very soon! Love the braided rug too! Logan looks adorable in his Easter cut! Got to run kindergarten class will be here in 2 minutes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's beautiful! I've always been far too scared to paint furniture - but your dresser is an inspiration.
    Claire

    ReplyDelete

  10. I am actually speechless. This is just wonderful! That piece of furniture has acquired a totally new personality! The kitchen looks truly magnificent, just like something out of a magazine! My God! You are so talented! WOW!

    XXX

    ANNA

    ReplyDelete
  11. How gorgeous your dresser looks now, Gill!! Such an inspiring post....your painting posts always make me want to get out my paints and transform something immediately! I love your beautiful braided rug too....that is something that is on my wish list :)
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  12. The dresser looks great - I like that you painted the inside a different colour. AS paints are magic, aren't they? I like the rug too. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a transformation! I love to see these before and after pics.
    Your kitchen is lovely too.I've been thinking of making a curtain like yours to hide the washing machine.Gives the kitchen a nice cottagey look.
    You must be delighted with your 'new' dresser.

    Bellaboo X

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your dresser looks fantastic! Just beautiful.
    M xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely job your dresser looks so pretty now you have worked your magic on it, you must be very pleased...Annie Sloan is so much easier to use ...I have a large wardrobe in the garage waiting to be painted hope to start it soon
    Thea x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Liking the paint job! I must do my bookcase that I've been threatening to do now for nearly a year. AS may be having an order, or I might just make up my own. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Too many nice things to comment on! I love how the dresser came up - it looks so good! It would also make such a nice sideboard without the top for a comletely different look. You rug is lovely too and how cute does Logan look! He is adorable :)
    The markets sound lovely - very tempting too!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your kitchen is gorgeous, your newly made over dresser is gorgeous and the rug is gorgeous too. Lovely to see what you have been doing.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh c est MAGNIFIQUE !!! J aime beaucoup cette transformation!!

    Bonne semaine!!

    xxx Maria xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Gill, the dresser looks fantastic, what an amazing transformation in just one weekend! The braided rug was destined for your kitchen. Looking forward to Eridge.

    Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great job you've done with the dresser, it's beautiful. That paint sounds brilliant, the worst bit of a project is the sanding in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great blog, I'm glad to discover it ! You have done so excellent job in the living room.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello Jill

    What a great dresser. The new colour transforms the entire kitchen. I love it.
    Your blooming daffodils brought thoughts of Spring in Britain and Ireland

    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful work Gillian! You have a discerning eye for details and colours and your home is just simply lovely (I am up for adoption...)
    Here is wishing you a lovely Spring,

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello Gill, what a busy bee you've been! Your dresser looks fabulous. I love the pretty pink shade on the inside. Your kitchen is so homely and inviting, and the braided rug just tops it off.
    I love the Andirondack chairs in your last post, in those wonderful ice-cream shades, and the clematis was breathtaking. Thank you for your Easter greeting, we had a lovely Easter, and I hope you did too.
    Many thanks for your comments, I love to hear from you. I am going to be doing some furniture painting workshops at the giftshop, as she is going to be stocking some chalk paint called Autentico. I will be interested to see how it compares to Annie Sloan. We are planning to organize a once a month Sunday Street Market,selling antiques/collectibles, crafts,cakes and flowers. So it is all very exciting and challenging.
    Much love to you, and good luck with your fair, Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Much dresser love from me!

    And your little dog is truly adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your cabinet is a total show stopper now, it really turned out nice!!! I love it,
    now I'm going to have to find some furniture and put a brush to it!!!
    Chris :o)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Such a pretty dresser makeover! Your kitchen looks very inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  29. The dresser looks great - it's amazing what a difference the colour makes. I have just painted all my kitchen units AND my dresser AND other kitchen shelves duck-egg blue and it looks so much fresher and brighter than before. I then bought your table cloth only in duck-egg blue! I then collapsed. xCathy

    ReplyDelete
  30. You do such good work on all your projects, The cabinet looks awesome and your kitchen is quite charming. I have a large cabinet down cellar that I would love to make into a canning cupboard. I am going on line to see about the paint that you used.

    ReplyDelete
  31. It looks amazing Gill and as you say it does indeed lighten up the kitchen. A great choice of colours.Your kitchen looks really homely which in my books means "that's the sort of kitchen I very much like". I detest cold sterile morgue looking modern kitchens.

    keep well

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Quite overwhelmed by your painting and your post in general! You are FAB! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  33. So very pretty. i'm delighted to have found your gorgeous blog. x ps we have matching dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great projects Gill ! Love how the dresser turned out.
    Liv xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your kitchen is beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing the process it took to transform the dresser :)
    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Gill, your kitchen is looking gorgeous love the pretty pastel shades everywhere. And wow your dresser looks amazing now so much nicer looking than the pine it was before. Logan is so cute bless him. dee x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and for taking the time to leave a comment - I love to read them!
Gill x