Sunday 13 March 2011

Inspiring Interiors


One of my favourite authors of interiors and soft furnishings is Katrin Cargill.

I find her books are so inspiring, and are the perfect blend of comfortable, stylish, liveable, contemporary, country feel interiors with a strong scandinavian influence - she is actually a Swiss-American.

I have four of her books, all with photography by James Merrell - any interiors book with his photography always attracts me.
The first book I ever bought by her was Decorating with Pattern.




















Over the years I have bought three more books by her, these ones useful practical books with advice and instructions to make projects.



Simple Cushions



Simple Curtains



The Soft Furnishing Workbook



To me, making my home pretty and practical, reflecting my own tastes and style, in a way that can be continually added and improved upon is what its all about. Trying to have good quality neutral basics so that I can ring the changes with the seasons and reflect my latest inpirations is important to me. Mixing old and new without breaking the bank.

On the subject of interiors and interior design, check out Daryl's blog at Vermont Cottage for brilliant, insightful posts on interior design issues and decorating on a budget.

I also discovered today a brilliant new (to me anyway!) blog by Linda called Heartfire at Home also about interior design issues, with its main focus on how to make your home individual and work for you - it is a thought provoking and practical blog with loads of ideas and with lovely photos. 




Later today the winner of my giveaway (the above cushion) will be picked, so this is your very last chance to enter the giveaway - any comment on the 4 March post will be included in the draw.

Check back soon to see who the winner is!!! 


9 comments:

  1. Great books, I'm really interested in looking at the curtain book. I'll be on the lookout for it! Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are really too sweet, Gill! BTW, the paint color you asked about the other day is called Faded Silk by Ralph Lauren. (It took a while for the old brain to come up with the name. Sorry it took so long).
    Have a wonderful Sunday!
    Daryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shall look out for those books - that's a style I like - not too fussy. Enjoy the rest of your weekend - very sunny here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gill,

    The books look really nice. I never heard of Katrin Cargill before, but I will definetely check it out. Your pillow looks great. I bought some fabric on the market yesterday. Don't really now what to make yet. I think it will probably be an apron. They are not too difficult.

    Happy sunday & lieve groet,

    Madelief

    ReplyDelete
  5. those are eye candy jaw dropping images....lovely! fingers crossed....

    ReplyDelete
  6. What wonderful inspiring books! I would be happy living with any of those lovely rooms you have featured...just my style and colours too! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. There you go again! Trying to temp me into buying gorgeous books! Get thee behind me!!!!! :) xx

    PS Sew Serenditpity came...wonderful.Sis wants copy for her birthday too. Do you think a light needle or baby cord would work with the basic skirt??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous books - both inspiring and practical. I love to look at interiors, I find them endlessly fascinating! thanks for showing these, and for the new blog links which I'll check out too.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Gill I am beginning to think our taste in books is very similar. I have "decorating with Pattern" and I had a gorgeous one on Swedish Interiors which I loaned to a customer who sadly never returned it. I have been meaning to check out Amazon to replace it. Have a good day, Linda x.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and for taking the time to leave a comment - I love to read them!
Gill x