Wednesday 3 October 2012

Hearts Galore!

 
More wool stockings being made here!

 
Have now used the last of the vintage wool blanket ( the plain part) on these few stockings, but luckily I won a lovely white vintage Welsh blanket on eBay today so I can make some more soon.


The two long sides of the blanket have dark blue stripes which I have reserved for making cushion covers - I should be making a start on those soon.

And the sharp-eyed amongst you will also have spotted some gorgeous red stripes there too - I succumbed at last to buying a beautiful large antique grain sack for making into cushion covers - it is so lovely and thick and soft and tactile! I can't wait to make those up!

 
Back to the stockings - I tried one with blanket stitching in a pale pink cotton yarn, and I like the look of it but it doesn't seem to hold its shape so well when hanging - it kind of flops a bit at the top as it hasn't got a thick seam to support it - but I guess when it's full of pressies it won't matter!

So I'm not sure whether to make more of those - what do you think?
Do you like the blanket stitched edging or prefer it without?

I do like both styles, so when I get some more wool I'll probably make some of each

 

 
I've also started making some smaller items for the Xmas Fair......

 
......some simple, plain white vintage linen hearts hangers for the tree (or for anywhere) - look how fine and crisp this beautiful large old sheet is!

It was hard steeling myself to cut into it, but I purposely bought a damaged one with holes, patches, and a few marks so that I could bear to use it for cutting and re-purposing - and I still have a few other sheets and tablecloths that are undamaged that I would never have the heart to cut, but are great to use on the extended table at Christmas.

 
I wanted these to be pure and simple and white and crisp, with only a scrap of vintage lace adorning them on one side, and plain on the reverse

 

 
and a simple jute twine hanging loop

 



 

So, there seems to be heart thing going on here!

 
Oh, and I must share with you my latest sewing machine accessory - an extension table!

I'm so happy I bought it, it has made such a difference when sewing certain items, and I also bough a quilting guide so I can have a go at machine quilting soon.

 

And just before I shuffle off to don my jimmies and snuggle on the sofa with the dog, I'd like to say a huge THANKYOU to all of you lovely folk who left such wonderfully encouraging comments in my last two posts - it's doing the trick as I'm spending whatever time I can in the sewing room just going for it - thankyou!

Have a good week everyone, and welcome to my new followers!


Posted by Picasa

18 comments:

  1. The stockings and the hearts look beautiful Gill. They will make lovely gifts!

    Happy evening,

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hearts are lovely! You could always use a bit of iron-on interfacing on the turnover top to give it body?

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such beautiful makes Gill. The blanket stitch looks so pretty. I AdOrE your hanging hearts too, gorgeous lace details!
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a sucker for blanket stitch I don't know why I makes me go all homely!
    I love the white lace hearts
    Thea x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the blanket stitching, that was a great idea. Now those white hearts... I LOVE them. I could see a whole bunch of them on a tree, or anywhere really, they are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have been so productive! The stockings are so sweet but the white hearts are divine! Perfect year round too xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all the hearts Gill! :)
    The white ones look very French (always good). :)
    I like both styles of stocking and I guess so will your customers!
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like blanket stitch, looks lovely in the pale pink.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful hearts everywhere! you are so talented :)

    Bee happy x

    ReplyDelete
  10. like youre new makes and the colors are so sweet its not traditonal but more a romantic christmas pastels
    very cute the plain ones are also very nice and finds in almost every home style and you cant mix them with others hope you sell a lot of these on the christmas fair!
    greetings leon10

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are ALL gorgeous, Gill! I love anything with hearts (and dots & stripes & checks!!), and the blanket stitched stocking gets my vote :-)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! All of it! I do like the stocking with the blanket stitched edges.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like both styles, I think they'll sell well. Love the vintage hearts too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great little hearts! I too love the blanket stitch!
    June

    ReplyDelete
  15. My, you have been busy! They are all just so gorgeous! x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely work! Those white hearts should be the ONLY decorations on a tree - it would look fantastic! You can't beat old linen and lace.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Gill, your little stockings are gorgeous. I like the blanket stitch, but it is a lot of extra work isn't it? They are lovely without it too. Love all your lovely vintage stuff. Your stall will look an absolute treat! Love Linda x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and for taking the time to leave a comment - I love to read them!
Gill x