Friday 18 May 2012

White lace

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Just a few of the beautiful pieces of crochet lace, tatting, lace and embroidered linen I came away with from the local Antique and Flea market today.

Just a flying visit today, so I didn't get a chance to look at any of the other stalls of vintage china, jewellery, bric a brac, ephemera etc that are there.

But for me the magnet is always Heather's stall, with her beautiful vintage laces and linens, threads, buttons, cashmere jumpers, tapestries and all manner of other wonderful sewing bits and pieces from the past.

She is such a generous soul too, and now that she knows I make cushions and accessories from vintage linens and laces I rarely come away without a few lovely things that she gives me, damaged linens and lace that she otherwise couldn't sell, as she knows I can salvage the undamaged bits to use as fragments on a lavender bag, or a trim on a cushion.


Thank you Heather!


 
 
 
 

Hello and welcome to all my new followers over the last week - so nice of you to visit and follow me! If I haven't already done so, I will be over to visit your blog soon.

I shall leave you with a few photos of the current addiction - making cathedral window pincushions!
I have put some in my online shop Gillyflower's Vintage and Handmade Shop  and shall add a few more as I make them. It's good to have a break from making full-sized vintage fabric cushions!


Wishing both my old and new followers a very Happy Weekend - may the sun shine on you!!



 
 
Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful pieces of lace, I have a bagful that I'm trying to sell for a friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh lots of lovely lace, look forward to seeing what you do with them all.

    Hope you're having a good week.
    Fleur xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful and so fine. I'm very partial to vintage lace and crochet. I have some bits that I may display one day on my blog. My Gran did some wonderfully fine crochet and I still have some of her trims. I also have a lace christening gown which I plan to take to the convent (closed order)to be washed and ironed...I assure you they do the most incredible job and get rid of all those old brown stains- bit expensive though. My mother used to do Honiton lace too and I have some of her bits.

    Lovely lace.

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY WORD......total lace envy!!!!!!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous lace, Gill! And sooooooo sweet pincushions :o)
    Have a very sweet weekend
    Love
    Natasha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful and I love the fact that you are also reusing damaged pieces that might otherwise be discarded.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The lace is gorgeous, I can't wait to see what you create with it all. Lovely pincushions, my boyfriend just treated me to a new one but I'm still tempted to add to my collection :)
    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh,can't wait to see what you are going to make using all that beautiful lace! I have quite a collection too...it's hard to resist isn't it? :0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very beautiful, indeed! I love crochet and I adore vintage lace and linen.

    My husband's American mother made some fantastic materpieces when she was young: hard to believe anyone could make thinghs as beautiful as that!

    Nice post, Gilly!

    CIAO

    ANNA
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some gorgeous pieces there. How generous of Heather to save some bits for you. I'm sure you put them to good use.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Gill

    I love all those beautiful pieces of lace. I can imagine you returning and putting them in a place of honour to admire. I will look forward to seeing your marvelous creations.

    Your cathedral pillows are beautiful too.
    helen xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Gill, really lovely pincushions and all that lace. How lucky to find someone Heather. Have a great day. Lesley x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your collection of pretty white lace is beautiful, and your cathedral window pincushions are just gorgeous, Gill! Thanks too for including the link to the tutorial for making these in your earlier post...I tried cathedral window patchwork when I was at college years ago and it didn't look nearly as good as these! Maybe now I will give it another try thanks to this.
    Have a happy crafty week.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, excellent flea market finds! I know you'll make the lace into something lovely. I'm crazy about your pincushions too--your workmanship is impeccable; such neat, tiny stitches. Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and for taking the time to leave a comment - I love to read them!
Gill x