Tuesday 21 October 2014

October Bits and Bobs

On this wet and blustery October morning I snapped a few photos of a beautiful rose that my daughter gave me for Mother's Day this year, and which, I'm ashamed to say, sat in its pot until late summer this year.


It is only just flowering now ( as I deprived it of a comfortable bed for so long ) but it was worth waiting for, especially as I hadn't expected it to flower this year, but the mild weather has obviously encouraged it to bloom.

It is a very delicate pale peachy pink, so pretty. It wasn't a named variety so I don't know what it's called as it was just labelled a pink floribunda. It is delicately scented too, and I've planted by the entrance to the drive so in a few years time I hope it will make a good show as you come in.


The pale pink tiny flowered fushia is still going strong


and even this self-seeded marigold is thriving in a crack by the house!


In the back garden the fuschia on the patio is also still blooming away, as are all the summer geraniums, some of which are from last summer which continued flowering on and off over last years mild but wet winter.


And spurred on by mamamercantiles recent post on getting the garden set for winter, I went out yesterday, bought some pretty tulips ( a lovely plummy one, Purple Dream, and a smaller variety Little Beauty, a lovely cerise with purple centre with an RHS award of garden merit), a bag of bulb compost and two new pots (just seen above either side of back door )and actually went straight out into the garden and planted them up!  Usually I have two out of the three elements needed and the bulbs never get planted as I have either pots or compost but not both, and as there is little free space in the borders, and I never seem to be organised enough to plant under trees or in the lawn as an alternative, they sadly and wastefully just get forgotten. 



Any suggestions as to what I could plant in the top of the pots or should I leave well alone? I thought of poking some classic forget-me-nots around them in the Spring, but maybe I should put some cyclamen in for now? Or winter pansies? What do you think? All suggestions gratefully received!  

I tend to do better with pansies than with cyclamen, which I have tried many times to introduce to the garden when  I see them in the garden centres, but they just seem to disappear after a while, never to return! Pansies and violas seem to thrive though.

I also spent an hour or two in the sunshine sweeping the patio, clearing up the clumps of moss fallen from the roof ( courtesy of the birds), and the many autumn leaves, as well clearing up and re-organising pots and planters, so it now looks a lot tidier

.

Out and about with a friend yesterday morning, which included the trip to the garden centre for the Tulip bulbs, we pottered in a charity shop and I spotted this lovely Alfred Meakin plate in the "Linden" design, for £2. I find it very hard to spot any pretty china these days so was chuffed to find it, as I am very keen on some of the Alfred Meakin designs of the 1950's and 60's and have a few other plates which I'll share in another post.


Last week I found this useful display shelf in a country furniture shop, not to my taste decor wise as it had been painted in a pale yellow combed effect with patchy peach highlights, and is made in cheap particle board, but the shape is good and it is sturdy. It will be perfect on my stall table for displaying smaller items.

 

I'm not completely happy with the result yet as the Annie Sloan Duck Egg Blue paint that I used came out darker than I expected, especially after putting on the clear wax. It looks light enough in this photo, but it is actually darker and more green in real life, and I wish I'd left the side edges duck egg instead of off-white, so I shall paint over the side trim and see if I like it any better then. If not the whole lot will get re-painted in my favourite Annie Sloan Paris Grey!


I know its still a way off, thankfully, but I'm having to get on with xmassy makings, and have made a 2014 version of the hessian tree hangers I made in previous years as they always seem to be popular.


 and some country style checked stars.


Hope you are not being too battered by the winds today!


P.S. Here's a quick but poor photo of my Blueberry Cowl finished a week or so ago - the colour is lovely and heathery with tiny flecks of turquoise. 

Am pleased with how this one has turned out, and it may, just may, be going to Bella if she can bring herself to wear "something crocheted"!!!


The pattern can be found by clicking on the link on my Ravelry page here




18 comments:

  1. You have prompted me to go and get some bulbs. Every year I forget and then wish I had!
    M x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden is looking beautiful, the rose is a delight what a lovely gift. I am so glad I helped you decide to plant some bulbs for the spring they will be a great surprise if you are anything like me and forget all about them. Your Christmas decs are stunning. We certainly seem to be taking a battering at the moment with these winds, the garden will need doing all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been trying to knit a cowl for the last week or so. I get so far then make a mistake. I must put everything else to one side when i'm working on it and concentrate.

    Sarah Raven is very good for inspiration especially where Tulips are concerned, she adores them. Check out her site and you might find some companion ideas for your bulbs.

    Jean
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great garden, great flowers, great pictures ! The cowl is beautiful ! Have a lovely day !

    ReplyDelete
  5. That pale pink rose is so beautiful. I think your tulips will be lovely next spring. Cyclamen seem to like shady places - we grow ours under beech trees. That's a lovely cowl - very nice colour. And I love your Christmassy decorations. I've started making some too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice post. You've got so much going on. Your cowl is really pretty. I love the look of your garden, it seems peaceful and lush. The rose is beautiful, I love that color. I just bought 70 tulip bulbs this weekend and am hoping to get them planted this week. I don't think you can have enough tulips. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Little violas would be lovely on top of your tulips I think Gill!
    Love the new cowl and your little Christmas decorations are lovely but then they always are!
    The weather has eventually settled here, hope that's the end of the wind!!
    V x

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have been busy. What a lovely cowl, and the tree hangings are pretty too. How nice to have a rose from your daughter, and it's such a good one and looks really healthy. The tulips will no doubt look wonderful in spring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's been so mild that it has been lovely to go into the garden and still see things in bloom x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Gill, Wow you've been such a busy bees - your little hessian trees are so pretty and so neatly made, I love them.
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bella's rose is a beautiful colour and a lovely gift you can enjoy for years and years. Love the little hessian tree decorations. See you tomorrow.
    Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your rose is so pretty, such a delicate colour and I've never seen a fuchsia such a pale pink either. I love your hessian tree hangers.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Gill

    Think this is my first visit to your blog. I love you're little cupboard find and whether you 're happy with the resulting colour it is far better than the colour it had when you purchased it. I'm sure it will be just the job for your stall. I'm afraid you're not on your own with bulbs several times I have gone out with enthusiasm already to plant bulbs for the spring to find I haven't got one of the key components. If you're looking for something to top your pots last year I planted yes I actually got to the planting stage last year some daffodil bulbs and because you put those quite deep into the pot I was able to put some winter pansies on the top and because we had a mild winter the pansies were still flowering when the daffs popped up in between. Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful rose. I am sure the Tulips will be quite lovely too. I don't think it's too early for Christmas preparations, I'm also starting on gifts, saves us from the crazy rush. Love your Hessian tree hangers and the stars too, so cute and definitely something I would have on my own tree :)

    Hugs,
    Sandra
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. So many lovely plants still growing in your garden. The shelf is a pretty shape isn't it, I hope that you can get the colour just how you want it to be. xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a pretty rose, and your garden looks lovely. I love planting bulbs, it is so easy to do and then you get lots of lovely flowers in the spring :) Your cowl looks very soft and pretty.
    Looking forward to seeing your sweet little shelf after painting....it will inspire me again to paint something too!
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your garden looks beautiful Gill, despite the rain! You have been very productive. I like your cowl and Christmas decorations and what a beautiful rose your daughter gave you.

    Wishing you a happy weekend!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your garden! And the flowers are beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing, and a heartfelt thank you for the birthday wishes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and for taking the time to leave a comment - I love to read them!
Gill x