Friday 21 July 2017

Such a long time.............

.........since I've posted on here!!!


Back in the Spring in fact, and now we're already half way through the summer.

Not quite sure how I've filled that time but I know I've been busy doing something!


The garden is looking quite colourful and productive so I know I've been spending a lot of time sowing, potting on, planting, taking cuttings, watering, weeding and yet more weeding and watering!

We have picked our grown from seed broad beans, and are currently picking the climbing beans and dwarf French, all which have been good this year and surprisingly free from the usual slug/bird/rabbit attacks. The broad beans suffered a lot of black fly this year, which the ants valiantly tried to keep under control, but it didn't seem to hinder the growth of the bean pods.

For the first time I'm trying soya beans grown from seed and they seem to be doing well. I've also got a fair few runner beans although I've lost one or two plants which seem to have just faded away although I'm not quite sure why as there is no sign of any insect attack.

I've also grown outdoor cucumbers from seed and they are romping away with the first cucumbers almost ready for picking. The courgettes are a bit slow this year so we haven't yet picked any but there are lots of baby courgettes coming so it won't be long.

I grew rather too many kale plants, both ordinary (Reflex) and red (Curly Scarlet), and they are looking pretty healthy and growing nicely. So far no sign of caterpillar attack although now I've said that.........

The swiss chard and spinach which I planted direct came to virtually nothing, so we've re-sown in pots and will plant out another batch in a week or so.

The tomatoes are just about ready to harvest in the greenhouse, and they are the only vegetable plants I bought as I left it far too late to sow any seeds this year. A kind neighbour topped up the few I'd bought so I have 3 or 4 different varieties ripening, including a golden cherry type.


I've had a good few days out visiting gardens for inspiration and buying a few new plants. An annual trip to Sissinghurst for my Birthday was brilliant as usual, and a trip to Great Dixter was perfect too. I always take new ideas away from these gardens, whether it be new favourite plants or planting combinations, or a clever way of growing or staking vegetables.

The following photos are of Great Dixter Gardens, Northiam, East Sussex.
 Great Dixter








We had a gloriously peaceful week in Cornwall with the dog back in June, where we walked to pretty Port Isaac in the rain from the holiday cottage, visited numerous beautiful sandy beaches and coves, explored a few National Trust gardens including my all time favourite Trelissick Gardens on the Fowey estuary, and pottered round quaint villages and towns.

 Port Isaac


 King Harry Ferry adjacent Trelissick Gardens, Fowey Estuary




I also had a day out in Arundel a few weeks ago, and whilst there visited Arundel Castle where the gardens were a huge surprise. So much to see and so totally unexpected! Well worth a visit if you are in the area.

Arundel castle gardens




an enormous peony flower, so beautiful!

I have done very little sewing these last few months as the garden has taken over, but I have made a few little things, and I've also added a few new items in my Etsy Shop.

 dish or pot stands soon to be in my Etsy Shop

 provence lavender filled sachets and hearts are in my Etsy Shop

 lavender filled antique fabric key fobs



I also have another Etsy shop now, an Etsy Studio shop which has a few supplies for making your own items, mainly pincushions at the moment, but I'm hoping to add a few new items in the coming weeks including upcycled and vintage fabric bundles / patchwork pieces.


Thank you for your visits and comments on my last post. I look forward to catching up with you on your blog very soon!




4 comments:

  1. You sound like you have been very busy, your garden is very productive.
    Merle.................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Merle, yes
      the garden is very time consuming in the spring/early summer especially with veggie growing, but now its more a case of keeping up with the watering and enjoying harvesting our own home grown food!

      Delete
  2. good reasons for not blogging..you've been enjoying yourself!
    What is Etsy Studio exactly for? I assumed it would be more for the make-it-sell-it end of things, as etsy itself seems to have moved away from that somewhat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Etsy Studio was set up for people to sell materials, supplies and tools for making items rather than for finished items unless they can be used in the production of items. Ie yarn, craft materials etc. Some of my products (the pincushions) were automatically put into my Studio as they fall within the category of sewing supplies.I know what you mean about Etsy having moved away from the make it sell it idealogy.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting and for taking the time to leave a comment - I love to read them!
Gill x