Thursday 23 January 2014

Cheerful Tulips and a Bit of Progress


I just couldn't resist these tulips in the supermarket this morning. Aren't they glorious?!!!!

It was pouring with rain when I went in, and the first thing that caught my eye were these beauties, and before I knew it my greedy little hands had whisked a bunch into my trolley.

They weren't cheap, but what the .............it was raining! I wanted them!











They are making me happy when the rain is lashing against the window, and I don't regret my extravagance one bit.

So there. Sniff. 
(Just practising my defiant attitude for when the breadwinner comes home and says have you bought more flowers? Why do you need more flowers?......)

I'm making good progress with the reverse applique, but I have to be perfectly honest with you and confess that I am not really enjoying it.

It is turning into a bit of a chore, but I am determined to finish it!

I will not be defeated by it, I set out to do it and so I shall, but both my shoulder and my hands are suffering from the fiddliness of the work.



So I have had to stop for today as my hand is too cramped, and so I thought I would share the progress I've made in the last couple of days, as I am well aware that the early stages, shown in my last post, did not look too promising, or very exciting, and I can easily forgive you for thinking "what on earth is that all about"!

But I am now 3/4 of the way there with the reverse applique stage. I've started so I'll finish.
Where I take it after that I am not quite sure yet.

The boldness of the design makes me think of traditional appliqued quilts, so I may run with that theme and add some quilting.

I do hope it's going to be worth the effort and not turn into one of those half-finished, disappointing projects that gets tossed aside in disgust.........we shall see.....time will tell........





The poinsettia is STILL thriving. I am still in shock that it has lasted this long, as they are usually half dead by Christmas Day in my house.

And still loving the pale lemony colour. 


A new Greengate tea towel arrived all the way from Ireland yesterday, courtesy of the efficient Al at All Tea Towels. I find it quite hard to resist these lovely designs!

I have being buying the odd Greengate tea towel from Al for the last couple of years as they are always well priced and arrive the next day with free postage to the UK


One of my Christmas presents was this inspiring Annie Sloan book, so I'm sure it won't be long before I tackle another painted furniture project as I'm really looking forward to trying out a few ideas from it.

I am currently on the look out for a small double-door cupboard to paint for the upstairs bathroom, in which to store toiletries etc, but after that there is really no more room for any other furniture in the house unless I get rid of something we already have!

AAAhhhh, what will I do then????  Re-paint what I have?




Thanks for all your lovely comments on my last few posts, it's good to be back blogging after the holidays!

Here's hoping for some sunshine soon, wherever you are.........................


22 comments:

  1. Glorious,glorious tulips and what vibrant colours! It is well worth a little bit of a grumble from hubby! Your latest make has stirred my curiosity so I will be looking out for the finished item!
    Keep well
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tulips are my favourite, these are such bright beauties! Well done for persevering with the appliqué, you will feel such a sense of accomplishment - and relief - when it's finished! Take care of yourself, my fellow casualty of craft! ;-) Chrissie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gill, thanks so much for popping in on my blog and leaving such a sweet comment! I am also happy to see you are a new follower as well. Love love love your tulips...one of my favorites also. Definitely a plus to have on a rainy day! Now I am off to take a look around your lovely blog and join in on the group.
    Shari xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh those tulips are amazing Gill, they were totally justified, I'm going to use the rain as a reason for buying things from now on! ;) I may be in for quite a spending spree looking at the weather forecast!!!
    Awe such a shame you're not enjoying your stitching but at least you've tried it and now know it's not for you.
    Maybe you should set up a furniture painting business!
    V xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those tulips are so bright and colourful and just what's needed as there doesn't seem to be any end in sight to the grey days we keep having. Keep going with the applique, it's going to be lovely. Like the tea towel very much - it's very you. Look forward to seeing you next week.
    Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Morning, They are gorgeous . . . so bright and cheerful and I can almost hear them whispering . . ."Spring is coming".
    Have a lovely day,
    Your blogging sister, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete

  7. Your tulips filled my scream with beauty and brightness Gill! They are gorgeous and they are my favorite flowers. Your craft works make me so jealous , you are a gifted multifaceted woman! I love your creations, I can never find time for crafting ... Thank you for your sweet words and I wish you a wonderful week end!
    Olympia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous tulips - happiness in a jug! The applique's looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh....how I love tulips! And I just popped over to the tea towel site and ordered a new towel!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing thise lovely tulips Gill. I was in need of a splash of colour, and this was just the thing. Soooooo cheery!!!!!
    B x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such gorgeous bright cheery tulips!
    Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your tulips are lovely and cheery!! Just the sort of thing to cheer up a room at this time of year. Your applique is looking lovely, but I can see that it is very hard work! I hope that you do love it when it is done. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Tulips, they are my favourite spring flower and I always try to have a bunch in the house when they're available from my supermarket.
    I think your doing well with your reverse appliqué, I totally understand the fiddlyness of it, but it will look amazing when finished.
    Sally xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, and I've just ended up buying a tea towel - great recommendation x

    ReplyDelete
  15. tulips look amazing such a wonderful pop of colour x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous tulips! nice to have a little reminder the spring is on its way x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful tulips....I would not have been able to resist buying them either! Well done on the reverse applique, you have been very patient to get so far...not much more to do now! Your Annie Sloan book looks very interesting! I am planning to paint a small dressing table next......
    Wishing you a happy weekend, Gill!
    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. The they are just beautiful, you know the old saying don't you......when it rains buy tulips! ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  19. They are so beautiful, so cheerful!
    It's just what I need now.

    Keep stitching! It will look fine!


    ReplyDelete
  20. It's Ok to decide that a certain craft is just not your favorite thing to do... in fact something that you want to run from. :-) I was that with counted cross stitch. I will never did finish the project I started and I honestly don't care. I hated it and will never do it again. So many other things I love doing, why waste my time?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and for taking the time to leave a comment - I love to read them!
Gill x